Oct 30, 2012
Pesticide Research Institute
Job Opening: Applications Due by November 15, 2012
Associate Scientist at Pesticide Research Institute
Pesticide Research Institute (PRI) is a dynamic and growing young company that specializes in helping
clients understand the scope of pesticide impacts on human health and the environment. We conduct
sampling, develop risk assessments, and provide data and other resources for low-impact Integrated Pest
Management (IPM) for IPM professionals, consumers, scientists, regulators and beekeepers.
PRI is currently searching for a full-time Associate Scientist to complement our staff, and is hoping to
hire a highly motivated, productive and capable scientist who can help move the organization to the next
level. Some experience preferred, but entry-level applicants will be considered. The Associate Scientist at
PRI should be able to work with minimal supervision to perform the work necessary to accomplish
Major Duties and Responsibilities
• Take a leading role in projects that involve conducting risk assessments, scientific research,
environmental monitoring, writing, and document review, and document preparation.
• Develop new methods of assessing exposure and risk
• Develop review papers on pesticides using the scientific literature
• Conduct risk assessments
• Conduct environmental sampling for pesticides in air, water, soil, dust, and beehives
• Research and write pesticide reviews for the lay audience
• Utilize existing modeling software to estimate chemical exposure
• Update and maintain chemical toxicity databases and work with these data to provide resources
for PRI’s web site and clients.
• Develop research proposals and scopes of work for client proposals
• Follow pesticide policy developments and utilize this knowledge in the day-to-day work of the
• PhD in chemistry or toxicology. Extensive knowledge of organic chemistry required.
• Curious. Willing to learn new subjects, including toxicological methods, software applications,
exposure modeling methods, integrated pest management methods, etc.
• Excellent communication skills, including writing, public speaking, and interfacing with the
public, clients and other office staff
• Excellent computer skills and ability to troubleshoot technical issues when they arise
• Ability to take initiative, think creatively, and solve problems
• Efficient, organized and a proven track-record of on-time delivery of a well-done project
• Attention to detail, diligence, persistence
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Experience with analytical chemistry and/or environmental monitoring
• Experience with database software, GIS, and/or statistics packages
• Prior experience making scientific and technical information accessible to the layperson
Overview of Pesticide Research Institute
PRI is an environmental consulting firm providing research, analysis, technical services and expert
consulting on the chemistry and toxicology of pesticides. We conduct human and ecological risk
assessment, develop tools to assess the relative risks associated with use of different pesticides, provide
guidance and input on pesticide regulation and policy, and develop integrated pest management (IPM)
approaches that solve pest problems with a minimum of pesticide use. PRI also conducts environmental
monitoring, with a focus on air, water and other environmental media. To learn more about Pesticide
Research Institute, visit www.pesticideresearch.com
Compensation and Benefits
Starting salary: Commensurate with skills and experience
Benefits: Health insurance and a generous vacation leave policy
The Senior Toxicologist should be available to work in our North Berkeley office at 1400 Shattuck
Avenue and willing to travel on an occasional basis, including overnight travel. The starting date for the
position is no later than December 15, 2012.
Send an email to email@example.com with "Associate Scientist Application" in the subject line.
Please include the following in your application:
• Cover letter that describes your career objectives and interest in the position
• Transcript of graduate and undergraduate courses taken, with grades received (Photocopy OK)
• Writing sample
• Names of three people familiar with your work who will be serving as your references.
Thank you for your interest in PRI.